Post details: Alternatives To 0845 & 0870 Numbers

Sun, 06 February 2005

Permalink 10:42:14 pm

Alternatives To 0845 & 0870 Numbers

After spending 20 minutes on hold to my credit card company this evening I realised that by calling their 0845 number, not only was it costing me more than a normal call, but they were also making money out of keeping me on hold. The solution was to call their 'if you're calling from abroad' number which is a standard landline number.

Why should any company make money from you calling them? If you have an inclusive minutes package on your phone line it's also unlikely that 0870 & 0845 numbers are included. A quick Google led me to Say No To 0870. The next time you need to call an 0870 or 0845 number, search by company name or the number and it will give you the landline equivalent. And stop paying companies for something they should be providing for free
11 comments - Trackback (0) - Pingback (0) - Permalink

Comments, Trackbacks:

Comment from linda southall
thankyou for your advice. I will try that because I am sick of paying a fortune on my phone bill for these numbers, especially when they keep you holding on with an automated service. This should be stopped.
20/04/07 @ 13:27
Comment from Ruth Kincaid
I can't tell you how grateful I am that instead of just wingeing (as I've always done!) you've actually found a way of me not paying for the honour of being kept on line in a queue for what seems hours! From now on I'll be able to phone them on their landline no's! I live about 3 miles from Bridgwater and if I want to get in touch with the Bridgwater Vodafone shop, ('cos I'm disabled & have to use a wheelchair) I had to phone them on a 08 no. The 1st time I rang the old landline number after it'd been changed, I was told by a smug recording that I'd been swapped over to a 08 no.and then insisted that I heard just about every v/f shop in the UK before I got the one that I needed.If I were able-bodied it'd be easier & cheaper to go there instead!
Cheers, Ruth.

12/08/07 @ 01:55
Comment from F.W.Fowler
Have you any alternative for the 0844 No's that we now have to use to make an appointment with the doctors surgery ?
02/10/07 @ 10:36
Comment from Chris
F.W.Fowler:

saynoto0870 will provide alternatives to 0871, 0870, 0844, 0845, 0800, 0808 or 01/02 numbers!
02/10/07 @ 11:25
Comment from alan shaw
why dont you just display the alternative numbers for 0845? thats why i looked on this site. but no numbers!!! pretty pointless really!
30/05/08 @ 12:24
Comment from Marian Yates
I am totally against these numbers 0870, 0845 and 0442 etc. To call my doctor for any reason its an 0442, but the worse culprit is SKY, all their numbers are 0442 and you can wait up to 1 hour just to speak to a person, and all the time you are paying to hear about Sky. To cut the time waiting down, you press the options for new installations and you get straight through - what a surprise!! If you go through the correct options then you just wait and wait and wait.
13/11/08 @ 17:09
Comment from Joanne Hardy
I was told about Say No To 0870 by a really great guy at Virgin Media to help me reduce my bills. I spend a little time going through my bills etc and go on line to get the alternative numbers, then write them all in my phone book...simple really. I just hope he doesn't get in trouble for giving out the info, which obviously aint in Virgin Medias own best interest!!
06/02/09 @ 12:49
Comment from uk immigration enquiry
i need enquiry but not able to find alternative no
23/03/09 @ 16:53
Comment from shirley
i looked on this site for alternative numbers to 0845 why dont you list them?
03/11/09 @ 12:39
Comment from Dave
Re comments from Shirley, & Alan Shaw;

"You can take a hog to the roast, and someone will still moan that you didn't bring an apple to stuff in its mouth"
22/02/10 @ 09:55
Comment from James
I would also recommend you try 0870alternative website for alternative numbers.

They list a lot of alternative numbers for 0870, 0871, 0845, 0844, 0843, etc.

Also seem to have a very large database and its very easy to use.
03/04/11 @ 23:49